Friday, November 04, 2011

Mighty Mouse Mechanic

I have, on occasion, been referred to as "Mighty Mouse." This week my mighty mouse skills got put to the test.

My car has been shuddering and dying at stoplights. Not exactly safe, mind you - especially when it breaks down in a busy intersection in Lexington. So on my day off I headed to an auto parts store we'll just call "Patricks."

Now, my husband loves "Patricks", but it's really not my cup of tea. I normally try not to speak ill of any business, but I've never had good service from the guys there. I don't know why, but they are always rude to me. Tuesday was no exception. I won't go into the details but let's just say the fellow behind the counter wasn't very helpful and as soon as he gave me the replacement hose I was on my own. (Of course, whenever I go in there with my husband they always offer to help him.)

So I stood bent over my car engine for twenty minutes trying to detach the old hose and patch job my husband and brother in law put on a few months ago. And despite the cold snap we've been suffering, standing in the sun over that hot car engine, it might as well have been July.

And to top it off, I was working with a Swiss army knife - you know, the tiny pocket size ones - as the only other tool in my car was a hammer.

After about 20 minutes of tugging and pulling and fighting with the old hose, a fellow came outside and informed me they had tools I could borrow. Gosh! You couldn't have mentioned that earlier? By that time I was practically done! So he unclasped the hose clamp for me and replaced it after I fitted the hose.

I have to admit I'm frustrated with the customer service at "Patricks." I've been in there enough times to see how they treat other customers but I've never been on the receiving end of that friendliness and customer service. I think I'll switch my loyalty over to another auto parts store where I've had better customer service.

I'm proud that I was able to repair my car on my own. It's definitely a first for me. I'm also thankful for a husband who's taught me so much about cars. If not for him I never would have made it home on Tuesday.

You learn something new every day.

Here's a photo of the product my hard work:

(Not bad, right?)

No comments:

Post a Comment