Tuesday, January 03, 2012

Craft: Hand Warmers

I made these years ago but I guess I had forgotten about them until Pinterest reminded me. (See? Joining another social network has in fact been good for me. Just wait until you see my next post about the sweater I made today.)

These hand warmers are are so simple anyone can make them (even if you don't have a sewing machine) and so handy everyone in the house will want their own. They only take about 20 minutes to make (10 if you're skilled with a sewing machine) and they can be given as gifts and used over and over.

Necessities:
A piece of soft Fabric (cotton is my favorite)
Thread
A needle
Rice

Directions:
Cut a rectangle of fabric about 3 inches by 6 inches. Fold in half so the pattern is on the inside. Stitch together leaving half of one side open. (If you're using a machine be sure to backstitch on both ends so you don't lose your seam.)

Using a long post it note, create a funnel. Fill bags 3/4 full of rice and hand stitch the opening closed. Microwave for 15 seconds and enjoy the warmth.

My husband likes to put these on the back of his neck after a long day at work. I like to curl up with them on the couch or take them with me in the cold car.

Happy Crafting!

No comments:

Post a Comment