Monday, October 31, 2011

Worship

"[Worship] is best defined as a reaction. The resulting behavior and response a person engages in naturally when experiencing that which can be only described as God." ~ urbandictionary.com

Every Sunday I play piano at CenterPointe. Recently I had a week off and I was glad because I thought I would have a chance to "really worship." But as I stood in church singing along with the band I found myself thinking of the words Stephanie McDowell said to my husband about me, "I can really hear her worshipping God through the piano." I felt awkward and almost out of place, I even found myself wishing I was back on the keys.

And as I've pondered this idea of worship I've discovered something. It hit me one day while playing the intro to a song that Ashley was singing a few weeks ago. Worship is giving to God what he gave you to begin with. Using my talent of playing piano for His church is worship. Tithing is worship. Greeting visitors is worship. Organizing games for the youth group is worship. Even cleaning up after them is worship. Worship is doing anything that God gave me the ability to do for the benefit of His kingdom.

I love to bring people to a place of worship. I love to hear CenterPointe sing His praise and lift His name. I love playing piano and hearing everyone sing. I'm so grateful for a God that wants our worship.

If you have seen me play but we haven't met I'd ask that you take the time to shake my hand some Sunday. I'll be so glad to meet another brother or sister in the faith.

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to lead you into his throne room. I'm so humbled.




Read these quotes on worship:

A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word, 'darkness' on the walls of his cell.
C. S. Lewis

A service of worship is primarily a service to God. When we realize this and act upon it, we make it a service to men.
Ralph W. Sockman

It is only when men begin to worship that they begin to grow.
Calvin Coolidge

No comments:

Post a Comment